Odd BGP AS Path

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Sep 23 14:48:43 UTC 2010

On Sep 22, 2010, at 4:15 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Randy Bush:
>
>>> Probably a silly question, but can anyone explain to me this:
>>> 3561 3356 9031 {35821,35821,35821,35821} i
>>
>> please support draft-wkumari-deprecate-as-sets-00.txt
>
> Mere deprecation does not stop propagation of such paths.

That's very true, but it *does* move us in the right direction --
saying "Aggregation that results in AS_SETs is prohibited, off with
your head"  isn't going to fly in the IDR WG when there are routes
that use them...

Suggesting the people do not perform aggregation that results in the
creation of AS_SETs (and AS_CONFED_SETs), and that operators filter
such announcements will lead to a time where they just don't exist any
more [0] (and then can be removed from the protocol).

We are also specifying that new BGP work does not need to support
AS_.*SET ;-)

"Being the Fun-Police in the global Internet is a thankless - and
probably futile - task."
  --  R. Whittle ("draft-whittle-sram-ip-forwarding-01.txt")