US hunters shoot down Google fibre

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Tue Sep 21 20:59:03 UTC 2010

I live in Washington State and have managed a fiber network along paths
similar to the ones being taken by Google.  Every winter we had at least
4 shotgun-blast outages, sometimes in the middle of nowhere and
sometimes with a direct line of site to the back porch of a local
"manufactured home".    You would be amazed at what people find fun with
during a long, cold winter and a belly full of libations.  And I can
almost guarantee you it wasn't sabotage.  In many cases, the revelers
were shooting at power lines and happened to hit the fibers wrapped
around the ground wire.  These are 500 kV lines by the way.  Long story
short, you can't account for stupid.

Mike

--
Michael K. Smith - CISSP, GSEC, GISP
Chief Technical Officer - Adhost Internet LLC mksmith at adhost.com
w: +1 (206) 404-9500 f: +1 (206) 404-9050
PGP: B49A DDF5 8611 27F3  08B9 84BB E61E 38C0 (Key ID: 0x9A96777D)