US hunters shoot down Google fibre

Wayne E. Bouchard web at typo.org
Tue Sep 21 19:11:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 02:45:11PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> What I have to wonder about is how often hunter-inflicted damage is intentional
> and located at the insulator (which makes for a good story) and how often it's
> a totally accidental stray bullet nicking the cable many yards from the nearest
> pole (which makes for a poor story).  I'd expect that since the fiber is
> usually hung much closer to the ground, it would get hit a lot more than the
> power cables higher up. Also, you're less likely to notice a 1mm divot taken
> out of a (usually thicker and sturdier and essentially single fat conductor)
> power cable than a 1mm divot out of a 48 pair.

What I want to know is, even if the story is bogus, why is anyone
surprised by the prospect?

It's been my experience that when Bubba goes out into the woods that
anything manmade becomes a target. Microwave reflectors, telephone
poles, road signs, water towers, windmills.... you name it and some
low-brow will shoot at it. That and leave shell casings and shotgun
hulls all over the place when he's done. Gives all us responsible
folks a bad name... Now I just have one more good reason to loathe
that behavior.

(and we're now drifting well off topic so this thread should probably
die pretty quickly.)

-Wayne

---
Wayne Bouchard