Cisco 6509/6513 cable management...

Dylan Ebner dylan.ebner at crlmed.com
Tue Sep 21 16:01:34 UTC 2010

Justin really hit in on the head with points 4 and 5. You can have the the most organized cabling in the work and lack of labeling and documentation can kill you in a second. A long time ago I was introduced to the rule of 8s. 80% of network outages are caused by cable failure, 80% of the time to repair is finding the cable, and for a mid to large organization, it costs 80K per hour of downtime.

We took this to heart and borrowed an idea from Sun. Every cable in our DC has two labels per end. One label for the near end and one for the far. This way you always know where you came from and where you are going. It takes a lot of time to setup, but it is worth every penny,

Dylan Ebner, Network Engineer
Consulting Radiologists, Ltd.