Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Sep 17 17:15:11 UTC 2010

In a message written on Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 04:44:04PM +0000, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> Does that mean no CLECs like Covad or DSL.net who colocate in the AT&T
> CO, rent unbundled dry copper pairs and take it up from there themselves?
>
> Does that mean no ISPs who buy/rent last+middle mile transport from AT&T
> ADSL network at Layer 2 (ATM) and provide their own IP layer?

In my area, from the research I have done, no.

Part of the reason for this is "U-Verse" is FTTN, Fiber to the Node.
AT&T has run fiber to my neighborhood, I believe the node in my
case is about 1000 feet away (I drive past it on the way out).  The
electronics sit there, so the old model of colocating in the CO and
getting the dry pair is no longer possible, the copper stops at the
node and it's a largeish (6' wide, 3' deep, 5' tall) cabinet, so
there's no colo.

The other model of the last mile being done by AT&T and handed off
over PPoE or ATM is still possible with this design, but to my
knowledge there are no local CLEC's that do that here, and I do not
know why.

Just to be sure I just went to www.megapath.com (they bought DSL.net
and Covad) and put in my address.  I got back:

 Available Services for:
   <address redacted>

   Available broadband type(s): T1 , IDSL , DDSL , Cable , ADSL
   Duet Voice and Data service is available at this location

My experience is when they can't give you prices online they don't
actually offer any consumer services and are simply going to try and
sell you a T1 for $750 a month.  If enough people care I might call,
or if there is a Megapath person on here who can contact me off list
I can give them my address and they can tell me/us what is really
possible.