Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Sep 16 19:02:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM, George Bonser <gbonser at seven.com> wrote:
>> Your statement misses the point, which is, *who* gets to decide what
>> traffic is prioritized? And will that prioritization be determined by
>> who is paying my carrier for that prioritization, potentially against
>> my own preferences?
>
> I would say that with standard "run of the mill" consumer service, the
> provider decides.

George,

Will the provider unbundle the components so that it's feasible for a
niche vendor to sell me custom connection services?

No?

Then the provider doesn't get to decide.

It's about control. As the customer, the guy with the green, I should
have it. A combination of decisions on the provider's part which
strips me of control is unacceptable.

You want prioritization? Give me unbundling. You don't want to
unbundle? Don't mess with my packets.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004