Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Wed Sep 15 01:30:32 UTC 2010

On September 14, 2010 at 00:49 williams.bruce at gmail.com (Bruce Williams) wrote:

 > And what does this "appeal to the ancient wisdom" have to do with
 > technology and business today anyway?

The article claimed that AT&T is claiming (to the FCC I think it was)
that net non-neutrality was an early design goal of the internet, so
they should be allowed to do whatever it is they want to do.

Well, of course it was, only big research sites got IMPs with real 56k
connections. Little guys like Apple, e.g., had to live on X.25 links
from CSNET. BU was hooked up for a while via a 9600bps "cypress" link
(a Vax 11/725* later Sun3/50 imp-a-like, via a serial port.)

And we won't even talk about who got /8s. AT&T got 2 if I remember
right though that company had no relationship to this AT&T which is
just a rename of SBC after they bought some AT&T assets which owned
the original trademark which is kind of like the old "if my
grandmother had wheels they'd call her a trolley car" but I digress.

As Jimmy Carter said: Life isn't fair. But that doesn't necessarily
implore one to make it *more* unfair.

* Never heard of a Vax 11/725? Then you are truly blessed.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada