Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

Dave Sparro dsparro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 15:47:38 UTC 2010

On 9/13/2010 12:05 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> It's a question of double-billing. I've already paid you to send and
> receive packets on my behalf. Detuning my packets because a second
> party hasn't also paid you is cheating, maybe fraudulent.

Would you object to an ISP model where a content provider could pay to
get an ISP subscriber's package upgraded on a dynamic basis?

It would look something like my Road Runner PowerBoost(tm) service, only
it never cuts off when the consumer is accessing a particular content
provider's service.

That would allow Netflix/Hulu/OnLive/whoever to offer me a streaming
service that requires a 15Mbps connection even though I'm not willing to
upgrade my 10 up/1 down ISP connection to get it.

--
Dave