Reverse DNS for IPv6 client networks

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Sep 14 14:57:16 UTC 2010

On (2010-09-14 14:27 +0200), Elmar K. Bins wrote:

> I as a networking droid have not much quarrel with that, but I am interested
> in how or whether at all others handle this.

About year ago I spent half and hour hacking together base36 and rfc2289
stateless DNS for IPv6. I'm not making any statements on its sensibility or
lack of it. I don't use it myself, as we aren't that far in our IPv6
deployment that we need to think about the problem.

[ytti at lintukoto ~]% dig -x c001:dead::babe @62.236.255.181 +short
bd80m2ztp38uc3l76b06mk33y.ip.fi.
[ytti at lintukoto ~]% dig -x c001:dead::babe @62.236.255.182 +short
mudd-do-lava-0-off-bit.ip.fi.
[ytti at lintukoto ~]% dig bd80m2ztp38uc3l76b06mk33y.ip.fi. AAAA
@62.236.255.181 +short
c001:dead::babe
[ytti at lintukoto ~]% dig mudd-do-lava-0-off-bit.ip.fi. AAAA @62.236.255.182
+short