Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at humancapitaldev.com
Mon Sep 13 14:00:00 UTC 2010

On Sep 13, 2010, at 8:50 AM, Joe Provo wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 01:40:10PM +0000, Julien Gormotte wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:28:09 -0400, Rodrick Brown
>> <rodrick.brown at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Its unrealistic to believe payment for priority access isn't going to
>>> happen this model is used for many other outlets today I'm not sure why
>> so
>>> many are against it when it comes to net access.
>>
>> Because of net neutrality ?
>
> Much like Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, that's one of the many
> "re-assurance" myths that one eventually abandons in the course
> of maturing.

Well, speaking as a web-based service provider, I oppose it because I quite simply can't afford to operate otherwise.
If we start having to pay for access based on geographical area or customer type or some other arbitrary classification we won't be able to stay open.
We have enough problems as it is, I don't need my ISP telling me I have to pay for transit on a per-destination basis.
If this becomes reality, we are going out of business, and I bet we aren't alone in this.