[swinog] IP address are now personal data

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Sep 8 13:26:57 UTC 2010

On Sep 8, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> On 2010-09-08 14:56, Jared Mauch wrote:
>> This is something that has been expected out of the EU as it relates
>> to PII for a few years now.
>
> Fortunately Switzerland is NOT part of the European Union, even though
> it seems there are a lot of influences and political pulls....

Sorry for dragging you into some of the other European folks policy chats...

(But I've been expecting a decision of this sort out of the EU, and other pan-european
nations for about 2-3 years).

> Court verdict (german):
> http://www.bger.ch/index/press/press-inherit-template/press-mitteilungen.htm?id=tf1

This looks a bit more limited than I originally thought, it seems (unless I'm misreading it)
the issue has more to do with disclosure (to end-user) that they were being investigated.

(similar to having your home be searched by police when you are not around and them
 not leaving a copy of the warrant, nor any hints your home has been searched).

- Jared