just seen my first IPv6 network abuse scan, is this the start for more?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Sep 3 18:03:24 UTC 2010

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 3, 2010, at 11:19 PM, "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2010, at 7:58 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> However, scanning in IPv6 is not at all like the convenience of comprehensive scanning of the IPv4 address space.
>

> Concur, but I still maintain that lots of illicit automation plus refined scanning via DNS, et. al. is a viable practice.

Care to elaborate? I'm betting you could find a handful of hosts on my network that are published in DNS (in which case you either already had their names, so, not sure what the scan does for you). I bet you would not easily find the rest.

The prefix is 2620:0:930::/48. Have fun, you have my permission to sweep the address space twice. If we are still alive when you think you found everything, or, enough to have learned something from scanning that is meaningful and couldn't have been learned without scanning, send me your information and I'll let you know how well you did.

Owen