ICMPv6 rate limits breaking PMTUD (and traceroute) [Re: Comcast enables 6to4 relays]

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Wed Sep 1 21:50:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 23:18:55 +0200
Simon Leinen <simon.leinen at switch.ch> wrote:

> Jack Bates writes:
> > 1) Your originating host may be breaking PMTU (so the packet you send
> > is too large and doesn't make it, you never resend a smaller packet,
> > but it works when tracerouting from the other side due to PMTU working
> > in that direction and you are responding with the same size packet).
>
> Your mentioning PMTU discovery issues in connection with 6to4 prompts me
> to confess how our open 6to4 relay has probably contributed to the
> perception of brokenness of 6to4 for quite a while *blush*.
>
> The relay runs on a Cisco 7600 with PFC3 - btw. this is an excellent
> platform to run an 6to4 relay on, because it can do the encap/decap in
> hardware if configured correctly.
>
> At some point of the relay becoming popular (load currently fluctuates
> between 80 Mb/s and 200 Mb/s), I noticed that our router very often
> failed to send ICMPv6 messages such as "packet too big".

That potentially starts to explain why I haven't noticed PMTUD issues
on my 6to4 tunnel that I've been running for a number of years, and have
been quite surprised be and somewhat doubtful of people to say there are
issues. I've pumped the MTU up to 1472 on it to suit my PPPoE 1492 MTU,
instead of leaving it at 1280, and haven't had any issues that have
made me suspect PMTUD. I'm in Asia Pacific so I've probably either been
using 6to4 gateways that are lightly used, or ones that have had this
parameter changed.