IPv6 rDNS

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Oct 30 01:23:10 UTC 2010

In message <4CCB6F98.6090103 at mompl.net>, Jeroen van Aart writes:
> I battled for a few hours getting IPv6 rDNS to work. The following tool
> proved to be quite helpful:
> http://www.fpsn.net/?pg=tools&tool=ipv6-inaddr
>
> Just in case anyone else would run into similar problems. It's not as
> straightforward as IPv4 rDNS.

How so?  It's just longer owner names.  There are enough tools that will
covert IPv6 addresses to the corresponding reverse name.  You most probably
already have the tools on your machines.

	dig, nslookup, arpaname

And if you are running Mac OS or Windows they will add the PTR records for
themselves.  I just wish all the other OS's did that so I don't have to do
them by hand.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC