Ethernet performance tests

Diogo Montagner diogo.montagner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 23:32:35 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

I am looking for performance test methodology for ethernet-based
circuits. These ethernet circuits can be: dark-fiber, l2circuit
(martini), l2vpn (kompella), vpls or ng-vpls. Sometimes, the ethernet
circuit can be a mix of these technologies, like below:

CPE <-> metro-e <-> l2circuit <-> l2vpn <-> l2circuit <-> metro-e <-> CPE

The goal is verify the performance end-to-end.

I am looking for tools that can check at least the following parameters:

- loss
- latency
- jitter
- bandwidth
- out-of-order delivery

At this moment I have been used IPerf to achieve these results. But I
would like to check if there is some test devices that can be used in
situations like that to verify the ethernet-based circuit performance.

The objective of these tests is to verify the signed SLAs of each
circuit before the customer start to use it.

I checked all MEF specifications and I only find something related to
performance for Circuit Emulation over Metro-E (which is not my case).

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks!
./diogo -montagner