IPv4 sunset date set for 2019-12-31

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Fri Oct 22 17:13:28 UTC 2010

On October 22, 2010 at 08:48 dhc2 at dcrocker.net (Dave CROCKER) wrote:

 > On 10/21/2010 1:56 PM, Barry Shein wrote:
 > > Well, if the DNS root servers ceased IPv4 service it'd be pretty much
 > > a fait accompli as far as the public internet is concerned.
 >

 > Given the reality of fragmenting the DNS -- including its root -- that's an
 > action that well might backfire.  Current fragmentation is constrained; this
 > could plausibly motivate more people to pursue other paths and thereby blow
 > things up.

I wouldn't suggest doing it without A LOT of coordination with
stakeholders.

While we're on the subject, someone else suggested that one source of
authority would be the Tier-1 vendors, the other would be governments.

Tying the two sub-threads together I believe there's sufficient
authority vested in the DNS management and RIRs to accomplish a
transition to an, effectively, all-IPv6 internet without either of the
above leading tho they would have to follow of course.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada