Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Fri Oct 22 13:24:34 UTC 2010

Matthew Petach wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Owen DeLong<owen at delong.com>  wrote:

>>> Either the telephone company or the cable company. Probably both. Give me a harder one.
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>

>> ROFL, Comcast is already telling their residential customers that if they want a static
>> IPv4 address it will cost them an extra ~$60/month.
>>
>> (Delta between residential and business: ~$55/month, single static IPv4 address on business circuit: $5/month)
>>
>> Owen
>
> *sigh*
>
> But what's the delta for getting the equivalent IPv6 resource?
> You're comparing apples to oranges.
>
> If comcast says "you get a static /56 of v6 for free, but a static v4
> address costs $55/month",
> then I can see you point.
>
> But right now, the delta is between dynamic v4 (free) and static v4 ($55),
> with no delta between dynamic v4 (free) and dynamic v6 (free), and no
> option that I've seen for static v4 ($55) vs static v6 ($???).
>
> It's those last two cases that would drive the deprecation of v4 over time; and
> *that* is the step I don't foresee any provider wanting to do; certainly, not
> being first up to the plate to do.
>
> Matt

How about when they put new users behind CGN/LSN? Depending on how
successful that is (for them), the delta can change dramatically.

It would be private v4 free, public v6 free (we hope), public v4 (static
or dynamic) for $(?+).

Further dependent is what they will do to existing users. I can see them
choosing to be fair and making all users suffer equivalently.

I can further see a potential result of huge swathes of v4 resources
reusable by these companies, probably dwarfing the reclaimable resources
most any other provider without a similar customer profile will have.

Joe