cost of IPv4

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:39:36 UTC 2010

>> The end of IPv4 is near, but that doesn't mean the end of the Internet is here.  The next chapter gets a new page turned.  Maybe we will determine that IPv6 needs to go the way of IPX/Decnet/AppleTalk and some new system (non-IP even) will take over the world.

IMHO, there is no such thing like "the end of IPv4 is near", what is
near is the exhaustion of the IPv4 address space for new allocations.

Unfortunately, as Bill mentioned, IPv6 does not offer much more than
an expanded address space, quite a different situation with the
proprietary protocols you mentioned, then there is no much
benefit/motivation for many to switch in a hurry.

No doubt that we need to move forward and keep pushing to get IPv6
deployed, but it will coexist for many many years with IPv4 which will
probably never go 100% away.

My .02
Jorge