Re: Why ULA: low collision chance (Was: IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Oct 22 05:20:05 UTC 2010

On 10/21/10 6:38 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Jack Bates wrote:
>
>> On 10/21/2010 5:27 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>>>
>>> Announce your gua and then blackhole it and monitor your prefix.
>>> you can tell if you're leaking. it's generally pretty hard to
>>> tell if you're leaking rfc 1918 since your advertisement may well
>>> work depending on the filters of your peers but not very far.
>>
>> This is always the argument I hear from corporate customers
>> concerning wanting NAT. If  mistake is made, the RFC 1918 space
>> isn't routable. They often desire the same out of v6 for that
>> reason alone.

the rfc 1918 space is being routed inside almost all your adjacent
networks, so if their ingress filtering is working as expected, great,
but you're only a filter away from leaking.

> Given the number of times and the distance over which I have seen
> RFC-1918 routes propagate, this belief is false to begin with, so,
> removing this false sense of security is not necessarily a bad
> thing.

this happened this morning in a pop we have in the far east... packets
ended up in atlanta. what's more, the return path was natted.