IPv6 fc00::/7 - Unique local addresses

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 22 01:53:37 UTC 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Karl Auer wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 10:10 +1100, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
>> Where does the 6K come from?
>>
>> AUD$4,175 is the amount - It consists of the "Associate Member
>> Fee" (AUD 675) and the IP Resource Application Fee (AUD 3,500)
>>
>> Then AUD1180 for a /48 each year.
>
> Er - apologies. Yes, the initial fee covers the first year's annual fee,
> so it's $4175 in the first year ans $1100 in subsequent years.
>
> The point still stands though - that's WAY too much for home users.
>
> While for Owen such costs might be doable, for the vast majority of home
> users in the AP region the only viable alternatives for internal
> addressing will be PA or ULA.

This is NANOG. To the best of my knowledge, no part of the NA in NANOG
is in the APNIC service area.

ARIN pricing is significantly better at US$100/year for ALL end-user
resources, so, only the $1250 up-front fee would apply and apparently
the partial fee-waiver for that is still in effect if your previous posting
was correct.

> Even with the lower costs that ARIN users pay, the prices are still IMHO
> too high for home users to be using PI in any significant numbers.

Really? $100/year is too much? Really? I guess that depends on whether
you think addresses are worth more than coffee. ;-)

Owen