Re: IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 22 01:48:40 UTC 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 3:59 PM, Karl Auer wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 01:46 -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> If your big enough to get your own GUA and have the dollars to get
>>> it routed then do that.  If you are forced to use PA (think home
>>> networks) then having a ULA prefix as well is a good thing.
>>>
>> home network: 2620:0:930::/48
>
> In Oz it costs real money to get IPv6 address space from the RIR
> (APNIC). Around AUD$6K in the first year, around AUD$1100 each year
> thereafter.
>
> Your /48, according to the ARIN website, cost you US$625 this year, will
> cost US$937.50 next year, and $1250 every year thereafter.

Uh, no... You're misreading it.

It cost me $625 (or possibly less) one-time when I first got it.

After that, the annual $100/year has been part of the same $100/year
I've been paying for my IPv4 resources.

> Fairly trivial amounts for most commercial entities, but prohibitive for
> all but the most enthusiastic home user.

Agreed, but, at $100/year that I was already paying for IPv4, it seemed
pretty trivial. I bet you spend more than that at Starbucks each year.

Owen