Re: Why ULA: low collision chance (Was: IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses)

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Oct 21 22:42:47 UTC 2010

  On 10/21/2010 5:27 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> Announce your gua and then blackhole it and monitor your prefix. you can
> tell if you're leaking. it's generally pretty hard to tell if you're
> leaking rfc 1918 since your advertisement may well work depending on the
> filters of your peers but not very far.

This is always the argument I hear from corporate customers concerning
wanting NAT. If  mistake is made, the RFC 1918 space isn't routable.
They often desire the same out of v6 for that reason alone.

I personally could understand the fear of wondering if your stateful
firewall is properly working and doing it's job and how a simple mistake
could have disastrous effects that NAT systems usually don't have. ULA
w/ NAT very well may become the norm.

Jack