ipv6 vs. LAMP

Christopher McCrory chrismcc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 20:53:49 UTC 2010

Hello...

  I've been following the recent IPv6 threads with interest.   I decided
to test the M in LAMP for IPv6 support (Although it was really a FreeBSD
server not Linux).  It seems than only newer versions (5.5 rc) of MySQL
support  IPv6 network connections.  Worse is that although it will
accept a network connection via IPv6, the grant tables do not work.  To
successfully get data out of the database, the grants would have to be
open to the world.  After a few google searches, it seems that
PostgreSQL is in a similar situation.

Network operations content:

  Will "We're running MySQL and Postgress servers that do not support
IPv6" be a valid reason for rejecting IPv6 addresses from ISPs or
hosting providers?

  Have any hosting providers network people talked the the DBA people to
tell them that they might have a problem soon?

 With RedHat, CentOS, Ubuntu all shipping databases that will not work
correctly with IPv6, I suspect some people are in for a rude awakening
next year.  Furthermore, why would Oracle want to 'fix' MySQL?

 It seems to me that for medium to large content providers IPv6 would be
great.  Have racks and racks of LAMP servers on IPv6, only a few hosts
and load balancers would need to be dual stack.  But if the database
servers must be IPv4 only, then there is zero benefit to add IPv6
anywhere else.

note: by LAMP I really mean Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris , Apache/nginx/etc,
MySQL/PostgressSQL/etc, and php/perl/python/ruby.

And thanks to the FreeBSD people for making 6to4 so easy to setup for
initial IPv6 testing.

--
Christopher McCrory
To the optimist, the glass is half full.