Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Thu Oct 21 18:53:44 UTC 2010

Dan White wrote:

>> Or are the two simply not inter-communicable?
>
> I think that's the $64K question. Do you wait to roll out v6 until you
> start seeing v6-only hosts start popping up?

When do you think that will happen and in what percentages of your
target populations to matter?

> From an accounting and cost
> recovery stand point, that probably makes sense in some environments.
>
> However, consider the fact that there will be v6 only hosts popping up
> after IANA/RIR/ISP exhaustion.

There is a phase you are missing between depletion and v6 only hosts.

That would be continual and increasing difficulties of obtaining new v4
access and degradation of the quality of that service, hopefully along
with a direct inverse effect on the quality and resultant value of v6
service.

The time line and gradations of that phase are far less clear than
depletion.

That would explain why so many do not concern themselves with it at this
time. Especially those who do not consider themselves to be the party
initially responsible for resolving those issues.

http://www.dilbert.com/fast/2006-07-30/

Joe