IPv4 sunset date set for 2019-12-31

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Oct 21 17:58:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Jared Mauch wrote:

> How would you respond if that were announced? Carriers have been doing
> technology transitions for years. Cidr to classless. Amps to CDMA or
> gsm... This is not new.

My next question would be "How many times will that get extended/pushed
back because somebody screams loudly enough?".  It will probably sunset
around the time that v6 starts to run out of gas and people start thinking
about IPv8 (assuming IPv7 would be treated like odd-numbered Linux kernel
releases like 2.3.x, 2.5.x, etc - never to see the light of day) :)

jms