Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 17:33:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 11:08 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>>> On 2010-10-21 16:59, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>>> Are IPv6 connected machines unable to access IPv4 addresses?
>>
>> Unless you put a application/protocol translation in the middle IPv6
>> can't talk to IPv4. yahoo("IVI","Ecdysis NAT64") for two possibilities
>> one have for that, oh and yahoo("IPv6Gate") for a ready-to-use HTTP
>> specific one.
>>
>> But if you didn't know that fact, you might want to invest in a proper
>> book about IPv6 and read up quite a bit. As this is NANOG, a good
>> operational book is "Running IPv6".
>>

> Thank you for the book recommendation; however, I was trying to get an
> admission that any IPv6-connected end users or corporate connections,
> will be accessing IPv4-only resources for a long time to come, i.e.
> years and years.
>
> And that the responsibility for IPv6 to v4 connection won't have to be
> handled by my client with a few racks.

That depends if your clients application and content works well via
NAT64.  If you are just serving web pages and you always use FQDNS,
great.  You are pretty set for a long time.

If not, you use IPv4 literals, you may end up on this list,
http://groups.google.com/group/ipv4literals and you will have to
either modify your application to work via NAT64 or enable IPv6
natively on your side or... have some portion of the internet not
reach your services.  The better long term strategy is to go ipv6 and
take the risk out of all this hedging against the inevitable of LSN /
CGN / AFTR.  That is what Google, Facebook, and many others are
already doing.

If a major service provider rolls out IPv6-only devices and services
(and they are / will, because IPv4 is out) they will not make a
special case for you.  So, what you really need to do is figure out if
your applications and content work via NAT64 and come up with a good
plan for going IPv6 in the long run. It's all about your risk
tolerance

Cameron
=========
http://groups.google.com/group/tmoipv6beta