Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Oct 21 15:08:10 UTC 2010

On 2010-10-21 16:59, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 4:28 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>>> Actually for those of my clients in one location, it served as an
>>> impetus to extend a contract with Level3 for another 3 years - with
>>> their existing allocation of a /24 of IPv4 addresses included.
>>
>> All well and good until some of their customers are on IPv6...
>> Then what?
>
> I'm sorry, can you expand on exactly what you mean by this?
>
> Are IPv6 connected machines unable to access IPv4 addresses?

Unless you put a application/protocol translation in the middle IPv6
can't talk to IPv4. yahoo("IVI","Ecdysis NAT64") for two possibilities
one have for that, oh and yahoo("IPv6Gate") for a ready-to-use HTTP
specific one.

But if you didn't know that fact, you might want to invest in a proper
book about IPv6 and read up quite a bit. As this is NANOG, a good
operational book is "Running IPv6".

Greets,
 Jeroen