Re: IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 21 01:39:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Jeroen van Aart <jeroen at mompl.net> wrote:
> I am trying to set up a local IPv6 network and am curious why all the
> examples I come accross do not seem to use the 40-bit pseudorandom number?
> What should I do? Use something like fd00::1234, or incorporate something
> like the interface's MAC address into the address? It'd make the address
> quite unreadable though.

Jeroen,

I see it like this:

You can pick anything in fd00::/8 that you want, but if you don't
follow the random selection rules in the RFC then it's *your fault*
when you go to connect a VPN to someone else who picked the same
network.

Also, the DNS is your friend, even more so with IPv6 than with IPv4.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004