ARIN recognizes Interop for return of more than 99% of 45/8 address block

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 20 17:34:22 UTC 2010

On Oct 20, 2010, at 12:47 PM, Brielle Bruns wrote:

> Not to stir an already boiling over pot and all, but is there any kind of report or documentation on releasing of space from countries other then the North American region?

You're not going to find a lot of large allocations which are unused in
other regions, predominantly because these allocations where made at the
earliest time of the Internet to organizations that were mostly in the
ARIN region.

> I'd hate to think that the rest of the world thinks that the US should be the one to give up all their space so that they can continue to hand out space like candy...

While it is true that some regions seem to be experiencing a real surge
in IPv4 demand recently, it's also important to remember that *all* of the
address space is for the Internet community at large, based on documented
need, on a first-come, first-serve basis.  It's actually "global Internet
address space"; this is a fundamental principle of the Internet Registry
system as noted in RFC 2050.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO