ARIN recognizes Interop for return of more than 99% of 45/8 address block

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Oct 20 17:06:33 UTC 2010

On 10/20/2010 7:13 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
> i think this is cool, but ...
>
>> ARIN will follow global policy at that time and return it to the
>> global free pool or distribute the space to those organizations in the
>> ARIN region with documented need, as appropriate.
>
> i know the us has the world series, but global>  arin region

I would like to join the chorus of applause for Interop's generosity. I
agree with those who've said that this only buys us a little more time,
but they did the right thing, and we should applaud them for that; along
with the DOD and others who have returned their unneeded space.

As for the fact that the block was released to ARIN as opposed to going
back in the free pool, the effect may ultimately be the same.
Allocations from IANA to the RIRs happen under the policy posted at
http://www.icann.org/en/general/allocation-IPv4-rirs.html. The
determination of when to allocate a new /8 is based on the amount of
free space that the RIR has on hand at the time of the request. There
are 12 /8s remaining atm, and 5 of those will automatically be allocated
1 per RIR when the other 7 have been allocated under the normal policy.
I am confident that ARIN will also do the right thing here and include
the /8 from Interop in their free space calculation before requesting an
allocation of one of the 7 /8s in the free pool.

hth,

Doug

--

Breadth of IT experience, and    |   Nothin' ever doesn't change,
depth of knowledge in the DNS.   |   but nothin' changes much.