ARIN recognizes Interop for return of more than 99% of 45/8 address block

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 20 16:40:03 UTC 2010

On Oct 20, 2010, at 12:29 PM, Stephen D. Strowes wrote:

> Interested to know how this will show in the IANA v4 address space
> registry. Will 045/8 soon appear as belonging to ARIN, since it is now
> not Interop's?

Correct.  Also note that the concept of a single RIR managing each
/8 only applies under certain circumstances; there are many cases
where multiple RIR's manage resources under a given block and work
together to make sure that things like in-addr (and RPKI) function.

This could easily be the case with this particular address block at
some future time, depending on the state of global return policy.

> Also makes me wonder if there are historical versions of this registry
> available. If reclamation of large blocks such as this becomes
> commonplace, will many of the legacy allocations simply become
> footnotes? (In the registry document, as well as in history?)

This has already happened in many cases; address blocks previously
held by US DoD, BBN, Stanford were returned, held for a period,
and then reissued.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO