ARIN recognizes Interop for return of more than 99% of 45/8 address block

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Oct 20 16:27:40 UTC 2010

On 10/20/2010 11:20 AM, John Curran wrote:
> ARIN recognizes that such parties could use the specified
> transfer policy to receive compensation despite being able
> to return the space, but overall the community recommended
> proceeding because the benefit to overall utilization was
> deemed worthwhile.

Speaking of which, has any research been done on determining the
likelihood that PE pools (which probably consist of a huge number of
blocks) will be returned as IPv6 is adopted at the edge?

I'm curious, as I suspect that the second I have no choice but to put a
single customer as v6 only using nat64, at that point, I might as well
convert all customers so that troubleshooting problems is uniform and
reduce the support costs.

Of course, I'm still waiting on decent equipment that will handle this
mass transition, but luckily I'm not to that point yet. Returns like
this buy us time before the real hard choices come into play (which
gives vendors and ISPs time for development).

Jack