ARIN recognizes Interop for return of more than 99% of 45/8 address block

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 20 14:20:14 UTC 2010

On Oct 20, 2010, at 10:13 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

> i think this is cool, but ...
>
>> ARIN will follow global policy at that time and return it to the
>> global free pool or distribute the space to those organizations in the
>> ARIN region with documented need, as appropriate.
>
> i know the us has the world series, but global > arin region

The problem is that we haven't been able to get a global policy
for returned address space, i.e. IANA has no policy on how to
assign less than full /8's.  The first global policy 2009-3 did
not reach consensus on the same text in all regions, and 2010-10
is still under discussion.

So, there's no way to know if there's a global policy which would
allow the space to be returned to the IANA, but I'm optimistic...

/John