IPv6 BGP MIB

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Tue Oct 19 16:47:05 UTC 2010

Apologies in advance for the question, as network monitoring is only
slightly relevant to network operations...

I've been digging and poking and scratching my head, and from what
I've been able to find, there doesn't seem to be an IPv6-aware BGP4
MIB in existence.  The closest item I could find was a draft MIB that
has already expired:  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2-10
It also seems to be missing an identifier for where it would sit within
the MIB tree, as noted by this section which just leaves it as "XXX":

            DESCRIPTION
                    "The MIB module for the BGP-4 protocol.

                     Copyright (C) The IETF Trust (2010).  This
                     version of this MIB module is part of RFC XXX;
                     see the RFC itself for full legal notices."
-- RFC Editor - replace XXX with RFC number

            REVISION "201002010000Z"
            DESCRIPTION
                   "This MIB updates and replaces the BGP MIB defined in
                    RFC 4273."
            ::= { mib-2 XXX }

Does anyone know if there is a working variant of this lurking out there
that can be used for tracking IPv6 BGP neighbor information, or is everyone
running their v6 networks blindly, as compared to their v4 networks?

Any pointers for working or semi-working implementations, especially
on Juniper platforms, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt