Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Oct 19 14:09:35 UTC 2010

On 10/19/2010 4:29 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> No... ARIN hands out a MINIMUM /32. A medium sized ISP should be asking for larger.

ME: I really need larger space
ARIN: We don't see how you can justify it, and we hardly ever give
larger than /32

THE END

> or, if you have larger POPs, start with a /24 and
> /32 regional assignment supporting 256 regional assignments
> /36 for 16 pops per region
> /48 for 4,096 customer end-sites per POP

Ideal solution, but don't see it happening

> ARIN thinks a /32 is the MINIMUM for an ISP. Not the Maximum. Several ISPs have received larger than /32 and all you need to do is show a reasonable justification for the space.

See above. You think I asked for a /32? While I'd probably desire a /24
for ease of routing and management, I'd only asked for a /31 and was
turned down with the "Very few will get more than a /32."

Hey, perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps I asked too early, even though I
purposefully delayed asking.

and from your other reply:

> Yep... Best not to argue with Jack... A much better strategy, IMHO, is to better serve his former customers.

Good luck on that. My customers like my service and the lengths we go
for them. Obviously, there are always those who are discontent, but we
listen to what they want and need, and we make it happen. Feel free to
come to rural Oklahoma and compete. The prefix rotation argument has
been covered before, which is why I'd rather keep it to the original
argument and probably shouldn't have mentioned it since it always
creates a side topic.

Jack