Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Oct 19 09:29:27 UTC 2010

On Oct 18, 2010, at 10:53 PM, Jack Bates wrote:

> On 10/18/2010 7:16 PM, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
>> You are to be commended for your leadership in conserving space.  Our
>> children will surely be grateful that thanks to your efforts they have
>> 99.99999% of IPv6 space left to work with rather than the paltry
>> 99.9975% that might have been their inheritance were it not for your
>> efforts.  Bravo!
>
> Thanks. Actually, I think people are following the RIR example. ARIN handed out a /32 as standard for an ISP, so a /32 is the framework even a medium sized ISP will use.

No... ARIN hands out a MINIMUM /32. A medium sized ISP should be asking for larger.

> Our routing/IP Numbering Plan:
>
> /40 regional assignment supporting 256 regional assignments
> /44 for only 16 pop assignments?
> /48 to customer for only 16 customers per pop assignment?

Or, better...If you're that large... Start with a /28
/36 regional assignment supporting 256 regional assignments
/40 for 16 pops per region
/48 for 256 customer end-sites per POP

or, if you have larger POPs, start with a /24 and
/32 regional assignment supporting 256 regional assignments
/36 for 16 pops per region
/48 for 4,096 customer end-sites per POP

or, if you have larger regions and more POPs per region
/28 regional assignment supporting  16 regions
/36 for 256 pops per region
/48 for 4,096 customer end-sites per POP

> Perhaps another view
>
> /40 regional assignment supporting 256 regional assignments
> /44 still for 16 pop assignments
> /56 to customer for 4096 customer assignments
>
> I'm sorry, but I just couldn't find a way to make /48 to customers work appropriately, and ARIN seems to think a /32 is fair, yet I have to design an IP assignment plan up front to make for more efficient routing. I actually expect a /42-/43 per pop, and /38 per region even in the /56 to customer model.

ARIN thinks a /32 is the MINIMUM for an ISP. Not the Maximum. Several ISPs have received larger than /32 and all you need to do is show a reasonable justification for the space.

Owen