Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Mark Andrews marka at
Mon Oct 18 20:32:05 CDT 2010

In message <35804BC3-9EFE-4CE4-B13A-F2E15C420EFA at>, Marshall Euba
nks writes:
> It makes a bigger difference if everyone starts using 6RD - to give out =
> a /48 effectively=20
> requires a  /16, and the number of /16s is by no means approximately =
> infinite.=20
> Regards
> Marshall

Only if you deploy 6rd in a naive manner.  Encoding all of IPv4
into the IPv6 prefix you hand your customers in naive.

The best way is to just have a table that matches 6rd prefixes to
IPv4 blocks you have assigned.  This table only changes when you
add or remove a IPv4 assignments from RIRs.  You don't change
existing entries in the table.  The entries are static for the life
of the IPv4 allocation.

When you configure a IPv4 DHCP pool and associated router interface
you find the covering IPv4 prefix and plug in the values from the

The next best way is to have a similar table but per covering IPv4/8
you have allocated.  This is very wasteful but not as having a
IPv4PrefixLen of 0.

For the global naive case the table degenerates to a single row.

As a exercise the first table was ~20 entries for Comcast Cable and
the second table about ~10 entries if I did the lookup correctly
so we are not talking about a lot of prefixes and they don't change
very often.

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at