Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption - Sparse IPv6 allocation

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Oct 19 00:14:18 UTC 2010

On Oct 18, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Randy Carpenter wrote:

> I have a few customers whose allocations are /29 away from their nearest neighbor (half a nibble). That seems a little close considering there is a lot of talk about doing nibble boundaries, and there doesn't seem to be consensus yet.
>
> For these customers, I don't think they will need more than a /29, but if we collectively decide that a /28 is the next step from a /32, how will the older allocations be dealt with?  This is pretty much a rhetorical question at this point, and I suppose the proper thing to do is to channel these questions toward the PPML for discussion as potential policy.

Just for reference regarding existing IPv6 sparse practice:

Our current plan is to use the sparse allocation block (currently a /14)
until we fill it up.  Bisection done at the /28 boundary which leaves a
fairly large reserve.

If an organization needs an allocation larger than a /28, we have set
aside a /15 block for those larger ISPs.

The orgs that already have allocations (/32s from /29s) also have a
reserve.  If they need additional space, they can either request from
their /29 reserve, or if they need more than a /29, can request a new
block.

Obviously, this can be changed if the community wishes it so. Bring
any obvious suggestions to the ARIN suggestion process, and anything
which might be contentious or affect allocations to the policy process.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO