Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption - Sparse IPv6 allocation

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Mon Oct 18 19:42:17 UTC 2010

I have a few customers whose allocations are /29 away from their nearest neighbor (half a nibble). That seems a little close considering there is a lot of talk about doing nibble boundaries, and there doesn't seem to be consensus yet.

For these customers, I don't think they will need more than a /29, but if we collectively decide that a /28 is the next step from a /32, how will the older allocations be dealt with?  This is pretty much a rhetorical question at this point, and I suppose the proper thing to do is to channel these questions toward the PPML for discussion as potential policy.

thanks,
-Randy

--
----