Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Oct 18 18:18:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Owen DeLong wrote:

> The customers should get /48s. The /56 guideline is merely that and only
> for the smallest of sites. It's also subsequently turned out to be bad
> advice.

Can you elaborate on why /56 is "bad advice" and if you're saying it only
for this case or if you're saying assignment of /56 to any customers is a
bad idea?  Dealing with a data center where customer machines typically
get by today with a /29 of IPv4, is a /56 really not enough for their
forseeable future?

I realize our /32 could support more customers than we're likely to fit in
the data center at /48 per customer, but is that enough of a reason to
assign 65k /64 subnets to each customer machine?

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |