Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Oct 18 18:03:46 UTC 2010

On Oct 18, 2010, at 9:47 AM, Randy Carpenter wrote:

> Unfortunately, it is not as easy as that in practice.
>
> I recently worked with a customer that has ~60,000 customers currently. We tried to get a larger block, but were denied. ARIN said they would only issue a /32, unless immediate usage could be shown that required more than that. Their guidelines also state /56 for end-users. I am a big proponent of nibble boundaries, too. I think if you are too big to use only a /32, you should get a /28, /24, and so forth. It would make routing so much nicer to deal with.  /31 and such is just nasty.

ARIN policy allows for a /48 per end user. There are guidelines included in the policy that allow
for a /56 per end-user, but, they are explicitly called out as just guidelines, not policy.

I am working on changing the ARIN policy (I've currently circulated a draft to some co-authors
and expect to be posting it to policy at arin.net and ppml at arin.net within the next couple of
weeks) along the lines you mention.

I think that IPv4think is a largely temporary problem, but, it is a problem even at the RIRs.

Owen