Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Mon Oct 18 16:47:49 UTC 2010

Unfortunately, it is not as easy as that in practice.

I recently worked with a customer that has ~60,000 customers currently. We tried to get a larger block, but were denied. ARIN said they would only issue a /32, unless immediate usage could be shown that required more than that. Their guidelines also state /56 for end-users. I am a big proponent of nibble boundaries, too. I think if you are too big to use only a /32, you should get a /28, /24, and so forth. It would make routing so much nicer to deal with.  /31 and such is just nasty.

-Randy

--
----