[Nanog] Re: 12 years ago today...

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Mon Oct 18 15:37:29 UTC 2010

Greetings,

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold wrote:

> On 10/18/2010 08:03 AM, Will Hargrave wrote:
> > I can recommend "Where Wizards Stay Up Late" by Katie Hafner
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/Where-Wizards-Stay-Up-Late/dp/0684832674
> >
> > A really good read IMHO.
>
> An excellent read, highly recommended!  Also check out Steven Levy's
> Hackers.  It goes a bit beyond the Internet, but the first part is
> definitely relevant.
>
> I would love to see an actual documentary put together, though.  Surely
> there has to be footage out there of the early days.

   I have video footage of the ANS / NSFnet NOC in the days of the T1 and
T3 NSFnet.  Also have many early network maps of NSFnet.  And stored away
in my collection are 9 of the IBM RT's that were used in the T1 NSFnet,
some still with their original software and configurations, along with all
the Token Ring gear and cables.  One of these RT's was the software
development machine used by Merit to develop rcp-routed, with all the
source code still on the hard drive.

   And hanging on my wall in my office is the backdrop used in a
promotional video (when ANS was bidding for the T3-NSFnet grant).  This
consisted of a view of mostly the Northern hemisphere, with blinky lights,
and arrows, and lines showing the first T3 link between Ann Arbor and
Virginia(?).

   I know of one other ex-ANS employee who "collected" old hardware and
documentation, as well.  Guess we both figured it was something that
shouldn't be lost to the dumpster...

      --- Jay Nugent

| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|