network name 101100010100110.net

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 02:16:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Day Domes <daydomes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been tasked with coming up with a new name for are transit data
> network.  I am thinking of using 101100010100110.net does anyone see
> any issues with this?

The domain-name starts with a digit, which is not really recommended,  RFC 1034,
due to the fact a valid actual hostname  cannot start with a digit,
and, for example,
some MTAs/MUAs,  that comply with earlier versions of standards still in use,
will possibly have a problem  sending e-mail to the flat domain, even
if the actual hostname is
something legal such as mail.101100010100110.net.

Which goes back to one of the standard-provided definitions of domain
name syntax used by RFC 821 page 29:

<mailbox> ::= <local-part> "@" <domain>
<name> ::= <a> <ldh-str> <let-dig>
<a> ::= any one of the 52 alphabetic characters A through Z
            in upper case and a through z in lower case
<d> ::= any one of the ten digits 0 through 9

--
-Jh