Network Operators Unite Against SORBS

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Tue Oct 12 16:25:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 5:35 AM, iHate SORBS <ihatesorbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am calling on all Network Operators to stand up and stop routing
> dnsbl.sorbs.net until that time they can commit to making real changes.

What sort of changes are you suggesting?  Suggesting a block unless they
make undisclosed changes is simply asinine.

I'm no fan of SORBS, but at the end of the day (ignoring the issues like
they had last week) they do what they say they do.

The problem with SORBS is not SORBS itself, but the mail admins that are
stupid enough to use it - or at least stupid enough to use it as a straight
blacklist (as opposed to a scoring blacklist).  Start up a campaign against
those if you like - perhaps an RBL of people who are using the SORBS RBL -
but asking people to stop "routing" a DNS domain just because you don't like
their clearly stated listing criteria simply isn't going to fly.

  Scott.