Facebook down!! Alert!

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Oct 6 21:24:05 UTC 2010

On 06/10/10 17:05 -0400, david raistrick wrote:
>my point is that facebook has moved beyond being a pure content
>provider, and (much like, say, google) provide both content AND
>service.   I have dependancies on facebook's (as do many many others
>who perhaps dont yet hire folks who even know what nanog is but
>someday will) services. without them, my teams can't work and my
>employeer loses signiicant figures of revenue per day.

Why can't your teams work? Do they have email? I'm trying to imagine what
operational scenarios are involved between the technical staff in a company
that depend on Facebook being up, unless you're working for Facebook.

Even if I were not email inclined, I'd set up a local XMPP server do to my
communication.

>so facebook is very much operationally relevant for my network, and
>that these mixed content/service providers will be more and more
>relevant as time goes on and we as a community should figure out how
>to deal with their transition from pure content to perhaps some day
>pure service.

How we deal with it is to create a viable distributed version of it.

--
Dan White