Scam telemarketers spoofing our NOC phone number for callerid

FEARGAL_LEDWIDGE at CRGL-THIRDPARTY.COM FEARGAL_LEDWIDGE at CRGL-THIRDPARTY.COM
Wed Oct 6 21:22:50 UTC 2010

From: scott at doc.net.au [mailto:scott at doc.net.au]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: Scam telemarketers spoofing our NOC phone number for callerid

>There were some laws passed recently which makes "faking" caller-id illegal,
>although I'm not sure exactly what the details are (eg, I'm fairly sure
>sending your cell phone number from a desk phone is fine as you own both of
>them).

In the US - it's not quite law yet.

The bill in question is H.R. 1258: Truth in Caller ID Act of 2010. It was passed by the house in April 2010 - but has not yet been passed by the Senate. A similar bill was passed by the Senate previously - so it's only a matter of time.

Specifically - the bill will make it illegal "to cause any caller ID service to transmit misleading or inaccurate caller ID information."

Changing your caller-id for legitimate non-nefarious purposes will still be allowed.

Feargal