Scam telemarketers spoofing our NOC phone number for callerid

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Wed Oct 6 15:54:44 UTC 2010

On 10/6/10 9:43 AM, Matthew Huff wrote:
> Digital all the way through. No sip. No outside access to the PBX
> subnet either. Just a mininute ago our telco has verified that the
> calls are not orginating from out phone system. It's a simple caller
> id spoofing. People don't realize that caller id can be spoofed and
> therefore are 100% sure that we are makign the harrasing calls.
>
> Just wanted nanog to be aware of this since the only two numbers that
> this has happened with are the ones in our ARIN whois records.

I'm currently dealing with an engineering firm in Florida that I believe
is having the same issue.  Getting calls at 2am, 3am MDT and at the
exact same time 12 hours later to one of my numbers which has call
screening.

Left a message with their IT department, so hoping they follow up and
return my call.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org