Scam telemarketers spoofing our NOC phone number for callerid

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Oct 6 14:37:35 UTC 2010

On 06/10/10 10:29 -0400, Matthew Huff wrote:
>We have recently gotten complaints of harrassing and high pressure sales scams orginating from our NOC's phone number. Since the number is a virtual number on the PBX, it can't be used for outgoing calls. I assume the scammers choose the number from the whois db. Anyone else seen this happening? Any suggestions on whom we should contact?

Could be Caller ID spoofing. If so, have a recipient of the call perform a
trap and trace to find the originator of the call (doing so may require you
to file a police report to find who's making the calls, depending on your
jurisdiction).

If your PBX is SIP based, you might be victim of a SIP registration hijack,
which are on the rise, based on traffic we've been seeing in our network.

--
Dan White