ILNP and DNS (from 2010.10.04 NANOG50 day 1 morning notes)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Oct 5 16:18:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> Hence the question: How should I provision authoritative DNS servers,
> given that the prefix information is provided via DNS--including the
> prefix information for the DNS servers themselves--leading to a
> chicken-and-egg problem.  In addition, I would assume that I need
> something similar to glue records (instead of A or AAAA glue, I need L64
> or LP glue).

Isn't glue the answer to your question? Your name servers get their
prefixes from the networks they are connected to, and they do dynamic
updates to their parent zone as well as their own zone's master. Then
other sites can find them using the usual referral chasing.

I am assuming that the name server's name is in a zone for which it is
authoritative. If not, it doesn't appear in glue so it doesn't need to
update the parent zone.

This implies that the name a DNS server uses to refer to itself (i.e. the
name for which it performs dynamic updates for its prefix) must be used by
all NS records that refer to the name server, so that resolvers can find
the server's up-to-date prefix recods. This is stricter than is common in
the current DNS - for example, the NS records for my domain do not use the
names chosen by those servers' admins. I do this because I think
in-bailiwick name server names are a good idea. I don't know if or how
much DNSSEC might change the balance of opinion in this area. One thing it
doesn't change is the quite astounding amounts of transitive trust that
can be introduced by outsourcing your DNS including the nameserver names.

http://shinobi.dempsky.org/~matthew/dnstrust/graphs/

So I don't think your question is relevant for most zones. It *is*
relevant for the root. ILNP will have to come up with a new scheme for the
root zone hints. I haven't looked at it in enough detail to see if they
already have a plan.

Tony.
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,
DECREASING 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 LATER IN HUMBER AND THAMES. MODERATE OR
ROUGH. RAIN THEN FAIR. GOOD.